Friday, August 26, 2005

Birthday time

My baby turned 7 today. It just doesn't seem that long ago that I took this picture:

This is one of my favorite baby pictures of him. He loved to sit and watch his older brother play. He was a very quiet, content baby. He did, however, wake up every single hour all night long, just to make sure I was there, until he was a year old. But that is part of what I love so much about him: he loves his Mommy.
M has had many challenges in his life, but he has done so well in overcoming and building character through it all. He is very creative, very smart, and incredibly kind-hearted. He is happiest at home drawing, building, or reading. It's amazing watching him grow into his personality. Both of my sons know that I hide presents in my closet. M told me last week that he would probably peak in my closet, but 'please hide my presents really good Mom, cause I don't really want to know what I'm getting until my BD'. I've also learned that I can trust him. When told no, he might get mad and sulk, but he will not disobey me. After spending a year with a teacher who chose to judge him based on his skin color, he recently told me that she was a good teacher, she just couldn't see who he really was. M also notices the kids who may not have friends and will become their friend. He becomes deeply upset when he realizes someone has lied or done something wrong. (He cried last summer when he realized that a neighbor child had lied to her father).
I consider myself incredibly blessed to be M's mother (as well as his big bro's Mom). He is the one who is most like me. We both love to read. We both have a huge pile of books next to us in bed (along with a bag of snacks...hehe). We both feel strongly, but are very shy. We both love puzzles and lazy days snuggled by the fire watching movies. M will always have a bit of a struggle in life due to some disabilities, but he has done a wonderful job finding the plus sides and enhancing our lives.
Here are some highlights of his big day:

Lunch at Burger King.

Waiting for party guests to arrive, while big brother tried to entertain him with basketball tricks.

Playing with his new castle.

Big excitement that all his Uncles & Aunts, and Oma & Opa got him his own gameboy!

And the SpongeBob cake that turns into a deck of cards. It was a fun day for a fun boy.
Thank you everyone for the compliments from the last post. And much to my excitement, my big brother even left a comment. (Hi Mark!).

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

That is one happy birthday boy. What a sweetie.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Happy Birthday to your little man :o)

My oldest just started 1st grade and you're right, it seems like yesterday he was a baby!

Your sock looks great too!

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home