Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Alpaca love

I'm going to join everyone already raving about handknit Holidays. It is a great book, like all of Melanie Falick's books. My Mom fell in love with the Vintage Beaded Gloves and I lucked out and got a great deal on a bunch of odd-balls of Alpaca. The only 2 that matched were the perfect blue to match Mom's winter coat.
So began the softest gloves around:

They are yummy. I brought them to a women's day my Mom and I went to on Saturday and had our friends try them on too. So soft. I think I want to marry an alpaca farmer now. A little caution to others who make them though. I had to restart these after discovering that the sizing is different than I'm used to. After my 1st attempt came out way too big, I switched to the small size and that fits great.
I wanted to make something for my boys with some of the other alpaca skeins. M loved the Candy Cane Hat in handknit Holidays, but wanted it in the colors of a candy cane. A boy with a white and red hat? Hmmm, is that not an open invitation for dirt? We instead decided upon the very Christmassy colors of red & green:

As I was making it, I worried a bit about the rolled brim not looking boyish enough. But once finished, I think it looks great and it doesn't roll as much when it's on him.
I'm not quite sure about the 1st decreasing row. I wish the pictures in the book showed this more clearly, but I do not think it was meant to come out the way mine did. M wanted to wear his hat though, so I had no time to refigure it myself. But again, once on his head it doesn't look as bad:

And what did M think?

He loves it. He has no idea what an alpaca is, but loves that it's so soft. And with both colors being worked, I think that it will help add extra warmth to the hat. (don't you love that smile showing off his 2 missing front teeth?)
And by the way, I had to make the woman's size to fit him. Do my kids have bigger heads than most kids? So with this pattern too, I found the sizes odd. But still, a great, great book.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lolly said...

The smile on your son's face is priceless! What a cutie! and the hat is really great too ;)

I love those gloves in HH. Beautiful book. Can't wait to see how they come out!

7:56 AM  
Blogger jessica said...

Anything in alpaca has to be a dream to wear. M doesn't know how good he has it, lucky boy:) I love his smile too! Cutie pie, can i call him that?! he isn't to old for that, is he?
Is holiday handknits a new book? i don't believe i've seen it yet... but i really think i want to get my hands on it! The gloves are lookin good too!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

What a cutie! You're right - boys and white don't mix well.

2:25 AM  
Blogger candsmom said...

I really must order Handknit Holidays! I keep seeing such great projects from it all over blog land...like yours! :-) The gloves look so beautiful and I can practically feel how soft they must be. And M is the CUTEST!! So precious in his wonderful hat. You do such beautiful work. I always love seeing what you're up to. ;-)

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should definitely join the Handknit Holidays knitalong @ http://handknitholidays.blogspot.com! (i love this book to, but have yet to join the KAL.)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Kathleen in Germany said...

Really cute hat! And those gloves look to die for!! Will have to put the book on my wish list and hope for the best :)

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Lynne said...

That is a great hat! Don't you just love the book? Did you ever get your felted pumpkin figured out?

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home