Monday, March 13, 2006

Heel adventures

It all started with some yummy Trekking yarn my knitting buddy gave me. She has the same color, which will mean matching socks. (I love
matching things!) She has started hers and
is doing an afterthought heel. I loved that idea and decided to practice with Q's St. Patricks socks (there is green in them).

1st picture: both socks done without the heels. (on the orange chair. Do you see the white in the background? That's the snow we got yesterday. Seriously, spring? You can come anytime now.)

2nd picture: 1 heel done, 1 'hey there is a hole'. The boys giggled a lot over this and thought that I should leave it like this.


3rd picture: the hole left after finishing the heel. Easy to sew up, yet it left me wondering if I was supposed to pick up stitches here?

4th picture: the socks on his feet this morning.

It was fun to try this way, yet I'm not sure if I will do it again. The socks went really fast, until the heel. Maureen you were right, picking up the stitches takes time. I also usually like adding a few extra stitches around the ankle (for about 1 inch), then going back to the regular amount of stitches for the rest of the leg. I suppose I could figure out how to do this with the afterthought heel, but it's just easier the 'normal' way. It was a fun heel adventure and best of all Q has his 'green' socks.

4 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

I've yet to try that technique out, mostly out of laziness... I do like the colors in the socks, they're very fun.

11:49 PM  
Blogger chris said...

What beautiful Trekking yarn! I love that colorway. I've always wanted to try an afterthought heel. It looks like a fun technique. And yay for Q's green St. Paddy's Day socks! ;-) Take care, Michelle! :-)

12:16 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

fixing up holes in socks amazes me! i guess since i haven't doen it, it is one of those things that you think you can never do! great job on the socks they look fantastic!

7:06 AM  
Blogger jessica said...

I've never heard of that method before... do you just knit on a piece of scrap yarn at the heel and keep going?! Love the finished socks! They look like they are on some happy feet:)

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home