Saturday, April 08, 2006

Sweater time





Q's sweater & hat are done! The pattern is Max from Junior Knits (by Debbie Bliss). Yarn is Plymouth Encore (thank you Secret Pal again for the yarn rescue!!). I knit it a little different than the pattern. I knit it in the round, then picked up stitches & knit the arms from the top down (decreasing to fit the # of stitches I had). I discovered that apparently zippers that separate aren't that common. Thank goodness that Hancock just received some 'spring' colors. I hand-sewed the zipper in myself, a move that shows how deep a mother's love really goes. It took forever. (bad close-up picture of the zipper). And I knit him a matching hat (made-up pattern). But when I heard him tell me he loves it, it's the best sweater I've made him, it was all soooo worth it. And check out the stunt that he did for me!
And just because he is so cute too, there's a picture of M wearing his own hand-knit by Mommy sweater & hat. He's also wearing 'pretend' (umm, Target) birks. How cute are they! The look on his face is due to the fact that he is still not feeling well. Poor guy. Although I have enjoyed the so-rare-now-days cuddles with him this past week. They grow up too fast!

6 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Great job! The sweater and hat look awesome, Q is a lucky boy to have a mom like you!

11:33 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Q's hat and sweater are gorgeous!! I love the orange and brown combo. Great job on the zipper, too. I've only done one zipper installation so far and it definitely wasn't fun! It's such a perfect finishing touch, though- and what better compliment than to have Q say how much he loves his new sweater? ;-) You did such a beautiful job on it. M is such a cutie, too! Hope he's feeling better. Take care, Michelle! :-)

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q and the sweater look great! Zippers are fun, aren't they? I think it took me a whole weekend to do the only one I've done...

9:58 PM  
Blogger Ev said...

Nice! Both sets are great! I have a hint to pass on. One of the ladies I work with just finished a sweater with a zipper. She did a beautiful job on it and I complimented her on it (I hate installing zippers in hand knits). She shared with me that she took it in to the tailor's shop in the Sears she works at and they installed it for her. It didn't take long and it was inexpensive. And it looked great! I think I'll remember that one for the future... if I ever decide to knit a zipped sweater.

P.S. she also has her sweaters blocked at one of the best dry cleaners in town. Things to keep in mind.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

looks fabulous! great job. glad your SP was on the ball and got you the yarn to finish! your model is a cutie too ;)

11:31 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Very cool hat and sweater combo! Having put zippers in sewn items, I am always so impressed that they make it into a knitted one. Sometimes zippers hate me...

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home