Friday, February 03, 2006

C is for crochet cast-on

C is for my first crochet cast-on for a cardigan. I use this cast-on for my socks, because I can then take it out, pick up the stitches and keep knitting the foot of the sock.

Q's sweater this year is 'Max' from Junior Knits (by Debbie Bliss). I managed to get this book on e-bay finally. (I think I had this on my Secret Pal wish-list?). I'm never very good at completely following a pattern, and this is no exception. I'm knitting the 2 fronts and the back together and the idea of casting on all those stitches made me cringe. So in my complete laziness I had the brilliant idea of using the crochet cast-on. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I love
this way of casting on for cardigans. Yeah for being lazy!

On another note I may not have enough yarn. Let's ignore the fact that after 20+ years of knitting, I still start a project, hear that little voice warning me, and think that if I hope really, really hard it will all work out. I'm now in full fledged denial, sneaking moments of frantic internet searches for this particular color of brown that apparently is not carried in a lot of places. (It's Plymouth Encore that I bought in an e-bay auction). Let's see how far hope & denial get me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I find that I either sweat it all the way or overcompensate with tons of yarn leftover. I never win.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Brianne said...

So maybe denial can be your "D" thing? ;)

Sending positive thoughts for spontaneous yarn mating!!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

20+ knitting exp/ and that little voice is still in the head of knitters? i was hoping mine would have gone by then :)

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, if you are short on yarn you could publish the color, then maybe you secret pal could look in her local yarn stores...

10:35 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I never thought about crochet cast-on for socks or cardigans- what a great idea! And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that your Plymouth Encore has a few hundred extra bonus yards tucked inside. :-) You never know! That cardigan pattern is so cute- I love Debbie Bliss's designs. And thanks so much for asking- I'm still taking classes this semester, but thankfully, the workload is much lighter. Yay for more knitting time! :-) Take care, Michelle!

3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home