Sunday, August 20, 2006

L is for letting go...

Letting go. Such a hard thing for a mother to do. How does one go from having our kids be dependent for everything to realizing they are closer to leaving every day?

My first instinct is always to protect them. As they get older I really want to keep them from the hurts life can bring. But weren't my greatest lessons learned from the mistakes I made? Mistakes that formed who I am, how I think, & made me both stronger & more compassionate. Is there a way to pass on what I learned & save my kids from going through their own mistakes? I think that thing called the teen years kinda erases that hope, huh?

Perhaps the hardest part of letting go right now is allowing them to venture out & do those things that boys do. Like today, Opa (grandpa in German) took them out kayaking. He let Q go in his own kayak. Upon hearing this I just about fainted, only to be reassured by a nearby college-age boy that this was what boys do & he was safe. Yes, letting go. Thank goodness I've still got a few years to practice letting go.

2 Comments:

Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

I think a lot of blogging moms exp.
letting thier kids go" College, first day of school, and new adventures like kayaking.... lets give yourself a big pat on the back... your a wonderful mom ;)

8:43 PM  
Blogger Amy Lu said...

It's so hard to let go!!! Do we really have to? Why? What would be so bad about hanging on tightly with white knuckles??? (All right, I took Psych in College, I know what would happen.)

I can tell you, if anyone ever invents a time-machine, it won't be a mad scientist. It'll be mom that just dropped her baby off for the first day of kindergarden....

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home