Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Home

We have been home for a few days now. M has been recovering much faster than expected (power of prayer!) & his doctor was merciful in allowing us to go home early & finish some of the education/testing on an out-patient service. And the best part of this exhausting week is that M is looking & acting like himself again. Thank you so much to everyone who left comforting comments! I still cry everytime someone says kind words to us. I think seeing your child go through so much takes alot out of a Mom. My brain still has not processed everything.
The learning process is not as overwhelming as I thought & M is quite the trouper. He has occasional moments where he expresses his sadness, but mostly he is busy enjoying feeling better. I'm trying to organize things at home to help us both. A part of this process is bagging & marking his foods with carb counts so he can help get his meals ready & start counting his carbs too. (this is how we know how much insulin to give him after each meal). Thankfully the things M was used to eating will not have to change much. Q is the one who loves chips, candy, & all the things that are much more limited to M now. (everybody was surprised to hear that M eats oatmeal for breakfast every day & spinach is eaten regularly around here).
And today we are planning on sitting down & watching a movie together (sitting! relaxing! I've forgotten what that feels like). This means that I can work on my sockapooolza socks some more too. How exciting is it that we are so close to the mailing day!
(the picture of M & Q is from Sunday. I now realize I'm thankful I don't have a picture of him in the ICU with IVs & other things hooked up to his body. He doesn't look too bad for a kid who was incredibly close to a coma & had collapsed veins just 2 days before! A moment before both boys had been laughing, I think I caught them at a serious moment in the movie...hehe.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

I'm sorry to hear about M, but I'm glad that he's home and is doing better. I'm sure there will be lots of adjusting for everyone. Hang in there!

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to hear about M, but it's so good that he's home now and adjusting to his new lifestyle - he seems to be a very courageous little one, I'm sure he'll be doing fine! All the best of luck!

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

I'm very sorry to hear about your son. It is a huge adjustment as I've seen from my neighbor's grandson. I hope M continues to recover quickly and doesn't have too much problem maintaining his levels.

I love how Q is snuggling with his brother, so sweet!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i am so sorry! that is really very scary...I am glad his eating habits don't have to change drastically, but it still will be hard on him :( here's to you! You are a fabulous mom!

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home